HamptonRoads Convention Center Has Achieved GBAC STAR™ Facility Accreditation
The Hampton Roads Convention Center in Hampton, Virginia has achieved the Global Biorisk Advisory Council® (GBAC) STAR™ accreditation, the gold standard for prepared facilities. Under the guidance of GBAC, a Division of ISSA, the worldwide cleaning industry association, Hampton Roads Convention Center has implemented the most stringent protocols for cleaning, disinfection and infectious disease prevention. The Center is currently serving as a vaccination site.
“At the Hampton Roads Convention Center, the safety of our guests and employees is our top priority,” said Eric Nealy, general manager at the Hampton Roads Convention Center. “We have established key best practices to ensure a clean, healthy and safe environment for all our clients, guests and visitors.”
As the cleaning industry’s only outbreak prevention, response and recovery accreditation, GBAC STAR™ helps organizations establish protocols and procedures, offers expert-led training and assesses a facility’s readiness for biorisk situations. The program verifies that the Hampton Roads Convention Center implements best practices to prepare for, respond to and recover from outbreaks and pandemics.
Renovations are underway at the Hampton Roads Convention Center
The Hampton Roads Convention Center is currently undergoing renovations of the Grand Ballroom. This project was initially to be conducted in three phases. Due to the impact of COVID, we are moving forward with all phases to maximize existing downtime. This will enable us to welcome our guests back with a fresh and brand new look in the Grand Ballroom. The interior perimeter walls, retractable air wall panels, doors and interior woodwork are all pieces of this project. The interior finishes will sparkle and provide an exciting facelift in everyone’s favorite space.
As an ASM facility, the Hampton Roads Convention has a Center Open for Business Plan which includes VenueShield. VenueShield is a detailed protocol for cleaning.
In addition, The HRCC has been granted approval for some of the following additions:
- Sensor Touchless Faucet (120+) for handwashing locations front & back of house.
- Upgraded HVAC filters.
- Kaivac Machine – This provides for pressure washing style clean in restrooms.
- Various cleaning chemicals & hospital-grade sanitization wipes.
- Touch-Free hand sanitizers at each entrance & the ability for 10+ mobile units
- Hospital-grade vacuum cleaning equipment additions.
- PPE team members – including face masks, shields, coveralls and gloves.
- Addition of UV handrail sterilizer for the escalators.
- Addition of button protectors for elevator units.
- Addition of elevator air sanitizing systems in units
- Addition of (7) touchless bottle filling stations at the HRCC water fountains.
- New enclosed ticket/registration booths for event use.