St. Cyprian’s Episcopal Church

Formed in 1905, St. Cyprian’s group was small at first, numbering just 10, and moved from location to location until a permanent sanctuary could be raised. For a short time the black congregation met in the parish hall at St. John’s. In 1907, the first St. Cyprian’s Church was built on Lincoln Street and remained there until 1963, when it moved to a new church on the campus of Hampton Nor- mal and Agricultural Institute (now Hampton University). Today, the congregation resides at 1242 West Queen Street.