Queen Street Baptist Church
First known as Second Baptist (considered a branch of First Baptist Church of Williamsburg, Virginia), Queen Street Church was established in 1865 by African Ameri- cans from Williamsburg. The group worshiped at various locations including the Hampton Court House and at Butler School near the site of Emancipation Oak. Eventu- ally land was purchased and the church was raised “in town” before eventually moving to its present address on West Queens Way in 1893. Rev. Thomas H. Shorts, who served as pastor from 1883 to 1917, founded the Gali- lean Fisherman’s Consolidated Bank and served as Vice President of People’s Building and Loan.