Antioch Baptist Church was organized September 1, 1895 when the Herbert Family donated land for a school, lodge and church to be constructed in Buckroe. The church founders, Cornelius Dabney, James Wesley, Christiana Everett, Abby Wilkins and Ellen Henry, origi- nated from Zion Baptist Church in Phoebus and Queen Street Baptist Church in downtown Hampton. Before plans were formulated for the church, services were held in the lodge. Church construction began in 1896. The first pastor was Reverend William N. Thornton.