Thank you for your interest in employment with The Hampton Roads Convention Center an SMG managed facility.
We accept applications and resumes for posted positions only.
The Director of Operations is responsible to schedule and supervise personnel, subcontractors and daily activities involved in the successful execution of events and maintenance of the facilities by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of 5-8 years related experience in the public assembly industry in a supervisory position.
• Maintain an effective working relationship with employees and vendors.
• Strong organization, supervisory, communication, and writing skills.
• Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic.
• Basic understanding of Accounting Principles.
• Ability to work with limited supervision and as a team member.
• Follow oral and written instructions.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, computer proficiency, typing, and ability to learn specialized computer software as needed.
• Directs, supervises and schedules all aspects of Facility Operations, including Engineering; Building and Grounds;
• Information Technology and Technical Services; Setup and Changeover; Public Safety; Security; and Housekeeping Services;
• Coordinates the Operations activities with other department and event related contractors to assure facility readiness and smooth operation of events, including ADA compliance;
• Implements and updates facility rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
• Has excellent organizational, planning, communication, and inter-personal skills; has ability to undertake and complete multiple tasks;
• Provides clear, concise, and timely communication of directives to other departments;
• Ensures that Operations Department receives pertinent information for the most effective use of the facility and staffing;
• Oversees maintenance of the facility, systems, equipment and vehicles;
• Assists in the preparation, implementation, and monitoring of the Annual Operating Budget and recommends a capital budgets for 1-year and 5-year long-range repairs and improvements to the facility;
• Understands and works to achieve performance measures as outlined in the terms of SMG Management deliverables agreements with client/city;
• Authorizes the requisition of equipment and supplies within budget guidelines;
• Provides yearly inventory of all equipment;
• Knows and ensures all laws, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, Risk Management, safety precautions, rules/regulations and emergency procedures are followed;
• Develops program to train all employees on Fire/Life Safety, Emergency and OSHA Procedures;
• Investigates, analyzes and resolves operational problems and complaints. Conducts periodic staff meetings to discuss procedures, problems and policy changes;
• Works closely with the General Manager in the preparation and negotiation of Service Agreements.
• Reviews contracts for compliance with events and /or government specifications and suitability for occupancy;
• Negotiates with vendors, contractors and /or service providers.
• Develops and implement preventive maintenance schedules, emergency procedures, safety and Risk Management policies in compliance with all Corporate and governmental regulations;
• Acts as liaison to public utility, environmental, and energy agencies. Assists GM in implementation of any energy saving guidelines;
• Coordinates and overseas special projects, such as construction, remodeling or expansion. Plans and directs outside vendors/contractors work to assure compliance with contracts and safety requirements;
• Works extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed;
• All other duties and responsibilities as assigned;
• Participates in our MOD Program (Manager on Duty) during events, as needed.
This is a salaried position. The salary range for this position is competitive with a benefits package. Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration and may be sent to:
Paula J. Scippio
SMG/Hampton Roads Convention Center
1610 Coliseum Drive
Hampton, VA 23666
This is a salaried position. The salary range for this position is competitive with a benefits package. Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration and may be sent to: Leanne Cranfill, SMG/Hampton Roads Convention Center (1610 Coliseum Drive, Hampton VA 23666), Fax: 757-315-1612, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls. SMG an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
SMG, the management company for the Hampton Roads Convention Center, is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of discrimination or harassment.
SMG's procedures, practices, terms and/or conditions of employment, rules and policies, promotion decisions and personnel actions such as compensation, benefits, transfers, social and recreational programs will be administered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual preference, veterans status, political beliefs or the presence of physical or mental disability.
To inquire about employment opportunities and position openings with SMG at the Hampton Roads Convention Center, contact:
Office Manager/HR Coordinator
Mail Applications to:
1610 Coliseum Drive
Hampton, VA 23666
Or fax to: 757-315-1612
Or send complete resume to HRHRCC@thehrcc.com